Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Slice of History at the Saco Drive-In

I'm 25 years old and, despite the fact that I grew up 20 miles from one, up until last summer, I had never been to a drive-in movie theater. When I did finally go, it was the most exciting movie experience of my life. A cool summer night, a giant screen, a blanket, and a double feature... I felt like I had stepped into the movie Grease--and I loved it. It was extra meaningful to me because Jon took me there on a date and it felt like so much more than just dinner and movie. It was actually special, thoughtful, quirky, fun.

We went back for opening weekend this year and for 15 bucks saw Iron Man 3 and Oz. If we had gone to a regular theater, tickets alone would have been more than that for just one film. Not to mention buying dinner if we went to Smitty's would have been another $30 and concessions at Cinemagic probably wouldn't have been much less than that. The price of a date night at the drive-in is ridiculously low. They have a really cool concessions building, too, which also has a really 50s vibe to it, complete with glass bottle sodas.

This weekend is Memorial Day Weekend and the drive-in is playing Star Trek and Oblivion. Gates are at 7:15 and the first film starts rolling at 8:20. They're also going to be open for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Considering most theaters make their money off of concessions, and that a lot of people bring in their own refreshments to the drive in, staying open for a third night may prove harmful to profits--but they're doing it anyway. They're doing it for the people who voted, "yes, please stay open for the third night this week," on the Saco Drive-In Facebook page. I'm going to go to the drive-in this weekend, I'll be going on Sunday, and I'll be purchasing from the concession stand.

But the Saco Drive-In needs our help to remain in operation. They are having trouble getting feature films this year because everything has transitioned to digital and the Drive-In is still running an old 35mm projector. If they want to get the films that people will pay to see, and, eventually, any films at all, they need to upgrade to a digital projector. The cost of which is close to $80,000. Without upgrading to digital, the Drive-In will not be able to continue functioning. The Saco Drive-In will close.

I just learned today that the Saco Drive-In was the first drive-in ever built in Maine, the 17th drive-in ever built, and is now the second-oldest, still-operating outdoor movie theater in the entire country. And it's right here in Southern Maine!! How can we stand by and let this historical drive-in become another empty parking lot??

I love the Drive-In. I just found it a year ago and I don't want to lose it now. We can save the Saco Drive-In. Spread the word! Donate $5. Every penny counts!

Check out this keepMEcurrent.com article for more information about the Drive to Save the Saco Drive-In. Share this post, share the link to donate, share the article, go to the drive-in this weekend, like their Facebook page, buy a T-shirt, donate fundraising ideas, there are plenty of ways to save the drive-in!


When you're looking at movie listings for this weekend, stop and think... Oh the Drive-In! Trust me, it's a wonderful experience--and at $15 a carload, how can you possibly beat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment