Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Patriot/'s/s' Day

Yesterday, two bombs went off at the 117th annual Boston Marathon. The marathon takes place on the third Monday of April, which is Patriots' Day. From some of the articles I've been seeing in the past 24 hours, it seems like the marathon was purposefully started on Patriots' Day back in 1897.

I'm guess I'm confused. I thought Patriots' Day was a holiday Bush Jr. created after the events of 9/11. Has it been a holiday all along? And why don't I get the day off from work? That's all holidays seem to be for these days--a three-day weekend.

Now, don't get on my back for this, (or actually go ahead, get all up in my grill about how ignorant I am if you want, at least I'll know you're reading) but I have a question: What the hell is Patriots' Day anyway?

I suppose I should start by defining "patriot." Since I'm annoyed at the internet today, I'm pulling out the Webster for this one.

"Patriot: one who loves and zealously supports ones own country*"

Okay... When I hear the word patriot, one of two things comes to mind:

1) A redneck who loves his guns and hates gay rights and abortion, flying the "Don't Tread On Me" flag, which is, according to Wiki, apparently called the Gadsden Flag. I forgot to be annoyed at the internet and looked it up. I'm learning lots today.


2) Someone who believes completely in every aspect of our country, including our government.

I'm not saying there aren't variations of these "definitions" as they are in my head, but they're definitely the two preconceived notions that I have when it comes to defining who identifies as a patriot. But what about the people in the middle??

I'll probably be put on a government watch list for saying this, but I hate our government. I really do. And because of that, I have no real sense of pride for my country. I think we're young and foolish. So I'm not a patriot by definition because I don't find our government to be just. I suppose I would be have been a patriot a long time ago, maybe, back before the government was the monster it is today, but definitely not now.

If I was a patriot, because I don't believe in the government, by my definition I'd have to fall into category number one, but that's not right either. I do believe strongly that I have the right to bear arms because the Founding Fathers gave me the right to, and because when zombies or civil war breaks out, I sure as shit don't want the only weapons to be in the hands of our government. I do believe in our Constitution and I do believe in total individual liberty. But I feel like in order to be considered a true "patriot," I'd also have to also praise Jesus, believe that marriage is between one man and one woman, and be prepared to beat any ethnic person I see back across the border.

I have seriously digressed. I didn't mean to get politicking. So now that I truly understand what a patriot is, by definition anyway, what is Patriots' Day?

According to an article on timeanddate.com, Patriots' Day is a day to commemorate the battles of Lexington and Concord (fought near Boston in 1775). It's a State holiday here in Maine and in Massachusetts, which is why I don't get it off from work because I don't work for the State or for a bank. Coincidentally, I have worked for both. Fun fact: depending on if you're in Maine or Massachusetts, the holiday is titled "Patriot's Day" or "Patriots' Day," respectively. I side with Massachusetts on this one. Sorry, Maine.

It's no wonder I was confused. Little Bush titled 9/11 Patriot Day, and it's an "annual observance," not a holiday. Whaaaaaaaaaaaa...Who names a not-holiday that similarly to another holiday?? That would be like having Administrative Professionals Day (which is next week, folks) and Administrative Professional Day.

To recap: Patriots' Day is a Maine and Massachusetts State holiday to commemorate two battles fought long ago, Patriot Day is the annual observance to remember those who were killed or harmed during the terrorist attacks of 9/11, and a patriot is someone who is wholly dedicated to his or her country. Got it.





*"Patriot." Webster's New World Dictionary. Fourth ed. 2003. Print. 

2 comments:

  1. "Who names a not-holiday that similarly to another holiday??" um... the answer would be G-Dub, silly girl...

    ReplyDelete